Nagarjuna Social Service Society (NSSS)
Nagarjuna Social Service Society (NSSS) carries out the promotional activities related to Medicinal Plants begun by NRF, by preserving a big herb garden as well as herbal nursery and is growing huge numbers of medicinal plant saplings in order to distribute to the common public at nominal prices. Varied efforts are being taken to make the cultivation of medicinal plants profitable.
Under the aegis of Nagarjuna Research foundation and the Nagarjuna Social Service Society, Nagarjuna had initiated ongoing programs for promoting the cultivation of medicinal plants and trees. For that, there is a registered charitable trust with an objective to conserve, promote and popularize medicinal plants. The emphasis is given to preserve the rare species of medicinal plants which are on the verge of extinction, resulting in severe damage to thousands of precious medicinal flora all over the country. From time immemorial, various medicinal herbs have been made use as medicines. Needless to say those medicinal plants have wonderful curative and prophylactic uses. Such plants being grown in and around our living places are off late being neglected. Nagarjuna since 1990 has developed a separate wing to review this situation and bring a number of medicinal plants to the reach of common public. An ambitious program has been developed for scientific propagation of medicinal plants using defined methods of cultivation. Nagarjuna has been relentlessly promoting the cultivation of medicinal plants, since 1990 has developed an Herbal garden having more than 100 species of rare medicinal plants.
- Steps to save endangered plant species like Trichopus zeylanicus, Saraca asoka, Aegle marmelose etc.
- To promote in situ and ex situ conservation of medicinal plant diversity, including rare species.
- Provide technical assistance in establishing herbal gardens.
- Conducting training programs for women groups and public in cultivation of medicinal plants.
- Conservation of rare medicinal plants which are under the threat of extinction.
- Increasing the availability of the medicinal plants utilized in ayurvedic and other sectors through scientific propagation and defined cultivation methods.
- Creating awareness on the importance of medicinal plants within the society.
- Development of Bio-fertilizers and Natural pesticides for the growth and maintenance of medicinal plants.
- 10 lakhs medicinal seedlings covering 100 species were distributed to public in Kerala during last 8 years.
- Promoting medicinal plant cultivation through P. K. Narayanan Oushadhamitram Award for outstanding scientific and systematic farmers since 1997.
- Established medicinal plants garden in public places like museums, dam sites, various college campuses etc.
- Medicinal trees cultivation in wastelands.
MAJOR GOVT. PROJECTS UNDERTAKEN
- Medicinal Plants cultivation in Western Ghat as an income generation programme sanctioned by the Planning Department, Govt. of Kerala.
- Medicinal Plants propagation and established herbal garden sanctioned by National Medicinal Plants Board.
- Undertaking projects of National Medicinal Plants Board.
- Facilitating the Western Ghat Development scheme on medicinal plants cultivation.
- Published 2 Books on Medicinal Plants.
- Telecasted 100 episodes on medicinal plants cultivation in various T.V channels
- Conducted more than 500 Seminars on medicinal plants cultivation in different parts of Kerala.
- Standardized more than 250 crude drugs based on CCRAS standards
- Approval for Crude drug testing from Dept. of Science & Technology, Govt. of India and Drugs Controller, Govt. of Kerala .
- Guiding students of Graduate and Post graduate levelin various subjects like Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Botany etc.